Let’s talk about one of the biggest hair trends of 2024… the old money bob haircut!
In a world where trends come and go, this classic bob has truly stood the test of time. With its timeless elegance and grace, the old money bob captivates us with its blunt lines and subtle layers.
So, let’s get inspired as we dive into the origins of this haircut, discuss its pros and cons, and even share some expert styling tips. Plus, we’ll look at 17 of the hottest looks on the planet!
From sleek and chic to playful and daring, these bob haircuts will make you feel like a million bucks.
💡TIP: Pin this article to your Haircut board on Pinterest so you can always come back when you need to! 👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼
The Old Money Aesthetic
You’ve definitely heard of “old money” – think vintage Rolls Royce, pearls, and grand estates. It refers to wealth inherited and passed down through generations within a family or lineage.
Families with old money are often linked with social status, prestige, and a certain level of cultural refinement. On the other hand, “new money” refers to wealth that has been more recently acquired, often through entrepreneurship, career success, or other means.
The old money trend is often connected with a more reserved and understated lifestyle, unlike the flashy displays of wealth sometimes seen with new money.
Just imagine yourself strutting down Fifth Avenue, with your expensive-looking hair perfectly framing your face as if it’s whispering tales of legacy. So chic and luxurious!
The Evolution of the Bob Cut
Back in the roaring ’20s, the rebellious flapper cut was all the rage, making waves (literally and figuratively) and pushing boundaries. Those ladies were all about liberation, short hair, ditching their corsets, and owning this bold look.
Then, bob hairstyles became the ultimate symbol of chic in the mod ’60s. Today, it’s a versatile hairstyle for anyone brave enough to embrace their inner boss.
Whether you’re rocking a sharp, edgy cut or a relaxed, tousled bob, this iconic hairstyle is here to stay.
But What Is An Old Money Bob?
But what makes an “old money” bob? Well, this style is all about effortless chic – the kind of cut that says, “I woke up looking this polished.”
This classic blunt bob grazes the collarbone, with a little bit of layering for extra movement and a slight curl underneath. Pair with airy face-framing layers or curtain bangs for a modern masterpiece.
Old Money Bobs
Pros and Cons
Ultimately, it depends on individual preferences, lifestyle, and hair type. But let’s break it down a bit…
- Timeless Elegance: This classic style has this timeless charm and sophistication that never goes out of style.
- Versatility: It can be adapted to suit various face shapes, hair types, and personal styles, making it a versatile choice for many.
- Professional Appearance: It’s a great choice for professional environments and fancy occasions.
- Youthful Look: This look can also give you a fresh and youthful appearance by framing your face beautifully.
- Requires Regular Trims: This style requires frequent salon trips to keep its clean lines and shape.
- Limited Styling Options: Although versatile in its own way, you may not be able to experiment with looks that require longer length.
- May Not Work With Your Face Shape: Depending on the specific features of an individual’s face, the old money bob may not be the most flattering haircut for everyone.
- Requires Styling: Achieving the polished look of an old money bob requires styling tools and products, which may not appeal to those who prefer to wash and go.
How To Style An Old Money Bob
Old money hairstyles are about creating a polished and refined look that enhances its timeless elegance. Here’s my step-by-step guide to styling an old money bob:
- Start with Clean, Dry Hair: Begin by washing and conditioning your hair with products suitable for your hair type. Towel-dry your hair until it’s damp but not dripping wet.
- Apply Styling Product: Apply a small amount of smoothing or volumizing mousse or serum to your damp hair, focusing on the roots and mid-lengths.
- Blow-Dry Styling: Use a large round ceramic barrel brush to blow dry your hair, directing the airflow down the hair shaft to smooth and straighten it. Focus on lifting the roots for added volume and using the brush to create a sleek, straight finish.
- Flat Iron (Optional): A flat iron is the best way to smooth and straighten naturally wavy or frizz-prone hair. Work in small sections, starting from the bottom and working your way up to the crown.
- Create Soft Waves (Optional): You can create gentle waves in your bob using a curling iron or wand for a softer, more romantic look. Wrap small sections of hair around the barrel, holding for a few seconds before releasing. Repeat until all sections are curled, then gently tousle the waves with your fingers.
- Set with Hairspray: Complete the look by spritzing a light-hold hairspray evenly over your dreamy hair to help maintain the style throughout the day.
With these styling steps, you can achieve a polished and sophisticated look. Adjust the techniques and products based on your hair texture and style preferences for the best results.
The old money bob is a luxurious hairstyle that has stood the test of time. Its sleek and elegant look is perfect for any occasion, whether it’s a day at the office or a night on the red carpet.
But beyond its aesthetic appeal, there is something deeper to this haircut that keeps it relevant and sought after even in today’s ever-changing fashion trends.
Perhaps it’s the sense of legacy and history that comes with an “old money” look. Or even the practicality of this hairstyle – its low-maintenance nature makes it a favorite among busy professionals and those who value simplicity.
But don’t just take my word for it. Give the old money bob a try and see how it transforms your look. Trust me, you won’t regret it. And with these expert tips, you can rock this classic hairstyle with confidence and flair.
Until next time,
MEET THE AUTHOR 🤩
Hollee is a licensed cosmetologist with over nine years of professional experience in the hair industry. With her unique insight and versatile experience, she’ll help you discover the latest hair trends or even crush your next DIY hair project.
🌟 Your Turn: What do you think about this gorgeous hairstyle? Are you thinking about trying it this year? Drop your thoughts in the comments section below!👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼
🥰 Other Posts You’ll Like:
- The Ultimate Guide to the Different Types of Bobs
- 24 Bob Haircuts That Will Make You Chop Your Hair
- The Top 5 Hairstyles for Your Face Shape
- The Top Hair Trends of 2024
- 27 Gorgeous Mid-Length Haircuts