Are you looking for some sweet home remedies for hair growth and thickness? Well, you’ve come to the right place.
Let’s face it: we all want longer, thicker hair, but sometimes it takes forever to grow. Fortunately, there are a few things you can do to speed the process up.
Here are 11 super effective home remedies for hair growth and thickness that you should start doing, like, now.
*This post contains affiliate links meaning that if you make a purchase through the link, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. This helps me provide the best possible content on this site for free. Keep in mind that I only link to quality products that I use myself and feel would be beneficial for my readers. Please read my full affiliate disclosure for more information.
RELATED: Learn how to start your own profitable beauty blog today!
Before we get into the meat and potatoes, there are a few important things to keep in mind:
- Everybody’s hair grows at a different rate. The average person’s hair grows at 1/4 inch per month, but that number can vary.
- Only 90% of your hair is in a “growing phase” at any given time. Check out this quick article about the phases of hair growth if you want more information about that.
- Keep your expectations realistic. Your hair is not going to grow six inches in a week without using hair extensions. If someone else tells you it will, they are lying.
- Furthermore, you will shed 50-100 strands of hair every day, which is completely normal.
- Overall health, hair condition, age, genetics, hormones, diet, climate and state of mental health are all factors that can affect your hair growth.
- I am not a doctor. Please consult with your physician before trying any of these home remedies, especially if you are pregnant/breastfeeding or have any other health problems.
- There is no guarantee that these home remedies will make your hair grow super fast. This post, however, provides you with some fabulous tricks to make your hair and scalp healthier and provide your body what it needs to grow more hair.
Now that we got that stuff out of the way, let’s get to those home remedies for hair growth and thickness! If you want longer, thicker hair, the first thing you should do is…
1. Take Your Vitamins
If you want longer, stronger hair, you should set your body up for success with some high-quality vitamins. Getting the proper nourishment to your scalp will ensure that it has what it needs to produce hair in the follicle.
When dealing with hair growth, there are three types of vitamins you should really focus on:
- Hair, Skin and Nails Vitamins
- Prenatal Vitamins
- Vitamins Formulated for Hair Growth
Hair, skin and Nails
These vitamins are formulated specifically to provide your body with the vitamins and minerals it needs to grow hair and nails and give you healthier skin.
They are usually composed of antioxidants like Vitamin A, C and E, and CoQ10, along with biotin and B-complex. They may also contain fish oil, flaxseed oil, selenium and manganese.
If you’re deficient in any of these vitamins, it’s possible that your body is producing less hair than it would in optimal form. Although major deficiencies are not common, I would give them a shot to see if it helps.
This may or may not be an urban legend, but many women believe that prenatal vitamins make your hair grow faster. It’s also a controversial topic.
Prenatal vitamins are similar to a multivitamin, but the doses are adjusted to suit a pregnant woman. Some doctors believe that taking too much folic acid and iron may lead to long-term health effects. Others state that the added folic acid and iron is still within a healthy range.
Many celebrities and women across the world swear that prenatal vitamins make their hair grow faster. However, the misconception could be with what happens to your hair when you are pregnant.
As I mentioned earlier, only 90% of your hair is growing at any given time. This means that the rest of your hair is in a resting phase or shedding phase. When you are pregnant, your hair doesn’t shed; it just keeps growing.
This leads to longer, thicker hair by the end of a pregnancy. However, after the hormones balance back out, all that extra hair will eventually shed.
I have to note that I am not a doctor and that you should consult your doctor before taking prenatal vitamins, due to the health concerns. However, my personal opinion is that, while you could probably take prenatal to grow your hair, I think you should stick to vitamins designed for hair growth.
Which brings me to the next point…
Vitamins Made for Hair Growth
Similar to Hair, Skin and Nails pills, there are vitamins that focus on providing your body with nutrients needed to grow hair.
These vitamins typically contain Vitamins A-D, biotin, iron, zinc and folic acid. If you are going to go this route, I would look into a high quality vitamin for the best results.
SugarBearHair gummies are one of the most well-known and popular hair-growth supplements on the market. They have a high success rate and their customers swear by using them.
These are formulated with high-quality, vegetarian, gluten-free, gelatin-free ingredients and come in the form of tasty gummy bears. The only main downside I should note is that some people say that it causes them to break out.
- We designed our vitamins for those who were...
- This vegetarian formula is based off of clinical...
- Nourish your hair from within with our cruelty...
Now that we’ve covered the bases of internal hair health, lets talk about some at-home hair hacks you can do to stimulate hair growth…
Related: Learn how to make homemade hair growth masks from MetDaan.com!
2. Rosemary Oil
Rosemary oil is amazing at stimulating blood flow in the scalp and hair growth.
In fact, there was a study done by MEDLINE in 2015 that concluded that rosemary oil was as effective as minoxidil (the main ingredient of Rogaine) in increasing the hair count after 6 months of use. Read more about it at PubMed.
It works by stimulating cell division and dilating blood vessels, which stimulates hair follicles to produce new hair. There are countless other health benefits of rosemary oil, such as lower stress levels and improved memory function.
Additionally, it has been proven to kill fungus and fight off free-radicals in the scalp.
Please note that rosemary oil must be placed in a carrier oil to prevent skin irritation. I’d recommend adding 10-12 drops to every ounce of your shampoo and massaging it into your scalp regularly.
I’d also recommend doing a hot oil treatment once a week:
- Add 3-4 drops of rosemary oil to 1 tablespoon of warm coconut oil.
- Apply to dry hair and massage into scalp.
- Place a processing cap on your head to hold in heat.
- Let it sit on your scalp for 30 minutes .
- Rinse, shampoo and style like normal.
Keep in mind that not all essential oils are created equally; you should look for something that is 100% pure rosemary oil.
- GUARANTEED HIGHEST QUALITY, MOST POTENT ROSEMARY...
- DON'T FALL VICTIM TO CHEAP DILUTED ROSEMARY OIL -...
- MOST 4 OUNCE ROSEMARY OILS CONTAIN LESS THAN 1/3...
3. Onion Juice
I’m not gonna lie… I have a deep hatred of onions. I hate how they smell and you’d have to pay me a lot of money to eat one. Sometimes I even tell restaurants that I am allergic so I don’t get any onions in my food.
However, the juice of an onion is actually pretty beneficial for the hair for a few different reasons:
- Onions contain dietary sulfur, which is found in keratin, the protein hair is made of. This also helps with breakage.
- They provide the hair follicles with ample nourishment to grow more hair.
- They contain an enzyme called “catalase,” which reduces hydrogen peroxide and optimizes the hair growth cycle.
- Onions are full of flavinoids, which fight free-radicals, slowing down the aging process and preventing hair follicle damage.
- They have anti-microbial properties that combat scalp infections that lead to hair loss.
How to treat your hair with onion juice:
- Peel and chop four onions into small pieces.
- Use a juicer or blender to reduce them to juice. If using a blender, use a muslin cloth to filter out the larger chunks.
- Add some essential oil like rosemary or peppermint to tame down the smell.
- Using a cotton pad, apply the juice directly to your scalp and massage for 5 minutes.
- Leave the juice to sit on your scalp for 30 minutes.
- Rinse, shampoo and style as you normally would.
- Repeat these steps once a week.
4. Add Healthy Fats to Your Diet
Similar to taking the correct vitamins, you should clean up your diet a bit.
Everything you put in your body will come out through your hair. A healthy diet is the best way to make sure you get the correct nutrients for your body to produce hair.
That being said, foods rich in healthy fats are super beneficial for growing hair faster.
Healthy fats balance hormones, reduce inflammation, increase circulation and condition the scalp and hair. This leads to improved hair growth and healthier hair.
The human body does not make essential fats, like Omega-3, Omega-6 and Omega-9. Therefore, it is important to add it to our diet through foods and supplements.
Some of the best healthy fats for hair growth are:
- Chia Seed
To read more about healthy foods that you should add to your diet, check out 19 Super Foods That Make Your Hair Grow Faster.
5. Scalp Stimulation
When I was in beauty school, we used to practice “scientific brushing,” which is a method of stimulating your scalp and bringing natural oils to the hair. You basically brush the scalp gently with a bristle brush, in a rolling motion.
Stimulating your scalp increases blood circulation, oxygen and nutrients to the hair follicles and optimizes scalp condition for hair growth. In fact, studies show that 4 minutes of daily scalp massage can significantly increase the hair growth cycle after several weeks.
The easiest way to stimulate your scalp is to do a deep scalp massage while shampooing your hair. Relax and let the warm water soothe you, while you massage your scalp for 4 minutes. You can’t go wrong with that.
You can also try using some extra tools to get the job done. In fact, Amazon has a pretty nifty scalp massager, designed to stimulate your hair while shampooing.
- Shampoo brush with perfect grip handle to fit your...
- Scalp massager with soft thick silicone bristles...
- Relax the scalp muscles and reduce stress...
Likewise, if you’re willing to dish out the big bucks, the iRestore Laser Hair Growth System has been proven to promote hair regrowth in men and women by 43% by stimulating hair follicles. iRestore offers a 6-month money-back guarantee and this product has been cleared by the FDA.
- iRestore Laser Hair Growth System (also known as...
- 6-Month 100% Money Back Guarantee - Users can...
- iRestore has been clinically studied by doctors...
6. Olaplex No. 3
I’m a huge fan of Olaplex because it is the only product on the market that can actually rebuild broken hair proteins. In fact, I wrote a whole post about how much I love Olaplex just earlier this year.
While there are different steps to Olaplex, and a shampoo/conditioner was just released (I haven’t tried it yet), I just want to bring Olaplex No. 3 to your attention.
This is a salon-quality deep treatment, unlike anything else, that you can and should do at home once a week to strengthen your hair.
While it does not actually make your hair grow faster or thicker, it will drastically reduce the amount of breakage you have. This will make your hair appear thicker and fuller in the long-run.
I highly recommend it.
- Repair damaged hair and broken bonds with olaplex
- Use once weekly or as needed
- Healthy hair
7. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has kinda risen up in the past few years, once everyone started realizing how versatile and amazing this miracle product is.
Not only can it lower cholesterol, help you lose weight, and brighten up your skin, but surprise: it’s said to grow hair faster as well.
In fact, your hair will LOVE coconut oil. It can also be used as a detangler and to defeat dandruff.
Furthermore, it can be used as a deep conditioner to make your hair super healthy. Its low molecular weight makes it able to easily penetrate into the hair shaft to condition hair from the inside out.
It’s controversial if coconut oil actually works to grow your hair faster. Some people swear it works while others say it won’t do much.
It will definitely provide your scalp with a healthy environment for growing hair, while drastically reducing breakage. I would say your best bet is to use it as a carrier oil with rosemary oil and massage it into your scalp once a week.
Make sure to use organic extra-virgin unrefined coconut oil for the best results.
- MADE FROM FRESH, ORGANIC COCONUTS - Cold-pressed...
- PERFECT FOR COOKING, FRYING & SPREADING - With a...
- NUTRIENT-RICH SKIN & HAIR-CARE TREATMENT - Super...
8. Olive Oil / Egg Mask
Back in the earliest days of this blog, I wrote a post about a DIY olive oil hair treatment you can easily do with a microwave, and to this day, it is one of my most popular pins on Pinterest.
Olive oil moisturizes and nourishes the scalp to prevent dandruff and increases blood flow to the scalp. It also prevents the hair follicle from narrowing, which is often a cause of hair loss.
To use Olive Oil as a hair mask:
- Mix 1/2 cup of extra-virgin olive oil with 1/4 cup of honey (a humectant, which attracts and holds moisture).
- Microwave for 15 seconds. Test on your fingers before applying to scalp.
- Adding an egg adds some extra vitamins and essential fatty acids.
- Mix ingredients together with a whisk.
- Apply to scalp and massage. Work through to the ends.
- Cover with cling wrap or a processing cap and let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Rinse good and shampoo. TIP: You may need to use a clarifying shampoo. Style as desired.
9. Castor Oil Treatments
Like the other types of oils on this list, castor oil is super good for your hair. A million years ago, I remember reading that you should apply castor oil to your eyebrows to make them grow in thicker. It works the same with hair on your head.
While many doctors disagree that castor oil will actually make your hair grow, they do all admit that it has anti-microbial properties that cleanse the scalp and strengthen the hair. This has also become a popular ingredient in hair products.
Other doctors, however, do believe that it can help stimulate hair growth. Rachel Nazarian, MD of Schweiger Dermatology Group in NYC states that “unlike most other oils, which can veer mostly fatty, castor oil has a unique nutritional makeup composed of a powerful mix of proteins, vitamins, fatty acids, and antioxidants.”
In other words, it can encourage faster hair growth.
She also states that “castor oil is thought to enhance and increase the absorption and effectiveness of other products. In other words, if incorporated into your normal hair ritual, your other products might actually penetrate more effectively, which will only do your hair’s health and growth ambition a favor in the long run.”
Last, but not least, she warns that you should only use little bit at a time, as oil goes a long way and too much can irritate the skin. Read more about Dr. Nazarian’s views on castor oil from Byrdie.com
Since castor oil is so heavy and can be irritating, the best thing to do is rub a few drops onto your scalp and massage it in. You could also mix it with a carrier oil and apply to all of your hair for extra conditioning benefits.
Repeat this process once per week.
Look for organic cold-pressed castor oil for the best results.
- PROMO- Buy 1 Castor oil receive 20% off our...
- GREAT FOR THE SKIN AND HAIR: Rich in vitamins and...
- SUITABLE FOR ALL HAIR AND SKIN TYPES: Made using...
10. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is another way to stimulate hair growth and it’s completely different than the oil-based home remedies we talked about so far.
Lemons are jam-packed with vitamin C, which boosts collagen production. Collagen plays a big part in cell renewal and fights the production of free radicals (which damage hair follicles).
Having sufficient collagen strengthens and protects hair follicles and improves hair growth. They also clean the hair follicles and scalp and help control oil production.
Furthermore, since lemons are acidic, they close down the hair cuticle which protects the hair and makes it shinier.
To do a lemon juice treatment:
- Squeeze the juice of a freshly cut lemon.
- Apply the juice to the scalp with a cotton ball and massage into the scalp. Let it sit for 15 minutes total.
- Wash your hair and style as desire.
- Repeat once per week for best results.
11. Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse
The first time I tried this, I was actually pleasantly surprised. I would imagine that putting vinegar in your hair would dry it out. Wrong.
My hair was so soft and manageable after using an apple cider vinegar rinse. Furthermore, the smell went away when my hair dried.
The pH levels of ACV are close to that of human hair, which can balance the pH of your hair when used often. Certain hair products and hair color/bleach make the hair more alkaline, and the acidity of ACV balances it out.
Like most other things on this list, it cleans the scalp and kills fungal and bacterial growth that can lead to hair loss. It also works wonders with dandruff.
ACV adds shine, reduces porosity, detangles and kills frizz. It also stimulates blood flow to the hair follicles, which provides the hair with nutrients it needs to grow.
TIP: As you can imagine apple cider vinegar doesn’t feel good when it gets in your eyes. Take care when applying it to your hair.
To do an apple cider vinegar rinse:
- Mix one cup of water with two tablespoons of ACV. Bring this mix in the shower with you.
- Shampoo your hair.
- Wring out the excess water and apply the apple cider vinegar to damp hair.
- Massage into your scalp for two minutes.
- Rinse and style as you normally would.
- Repeat once per week.
Like everything else, you want to use high quality apple cider vinegar. I’m a big fan of the Bragg organic raw ACV with “the mother.”
- Certified Organic Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider...
- Bragg Apple Cider vinegar is organically grown,...
- It's a wholesome way to add delicious, light...
YOUR TURN: Have you tried any of these home remedies for hair growth and thickness? Do you have any other at-home hair care tips to add to this list? I’d love to read your feedback in the comments section below…
Did you enjoy this post? I’ll love you forever if you share it with your friends on your favorite social media website!
Last update on 2019-07-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API