Let’s talk about some sweet home remedies for hair growth and thickness!
Do you want super long hair, like now? Maybe your hair is long, but you want to add some bulk. Sound too familiar? Well, girl… you’ve come to the right place.
Let’s face it: we all want longer, thicker hair, but sometimes it takes forever to grow. While I can’t promise your hair will grow 2 feet in 2 weeks, there are a few things you can do to speed up the process.
Some of these natural remedies have even been tested and proven by science to be as effective as chemical-ridden hair growth products. Sounds pretty legit, right?
Here are 11 super effective home remedies for hair growth and thickness that you should start doing, like, now.
💡TIP: Pin this article to your Hair Tips board on Pinterest so you can always come back to it when you need to! 👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼
*This post contains affiliate links meaning that if you make a purchase after clicking the link, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. This helps me provide the best possible content on this site for free. Keep in mind that I only link to quality products that I use myself and feel would be beneficial for my readers.
Please read my full affiliate disclosure for more information.
Before we get into the meat and potatoes, here are a few essential things to keep in mind:
☑️ Everybody’s hair grows at a different rate, but the average person’s hair grows at 1/4 inch per month.
O Only 90% of your hair is in a “growing phase” at any given time, while the other 10% is in a resting phase.
☑️ Keep your expectations realistic. Your hair is not going to grow six inches in a week without using hair extensions. If someone else tells you it will, they’re lying.
➡️ You shed between 50-100 strands of hair every day, which is entirely normal.
☑️ Overall health, hair condition, age, genetics, hormones, diet, climate, and state of mental health are all factors that influence hair growth.
➡️I am not a doctor. Please consult with your physician before trying any of these home remedies for hair growth and thickness, especially if you are pregnant/breastfeeding or have other health problems.
☑️ There is no guarantee that these home remedies will make your hair grow super fast. This post, however, provides you with some fabulous tricks to make your hair and scalp healthier and provide your body with what it needs to grow your hair faster.
RELATED: Learn how to start your own profitable beauty blog today!
Now that we got that stuff out of the way, let’s get to those home remedies for hair growth and thickness! If you want longer, thicker hair, the first thing you should do is…
1. Take Your Vitamins
Let’s push aside the actual home remedies for just a second…
If you want longer, stronger hair, you really should set your body up for success. And what better way to that than with some high-quality vitamins? Properly nourishing your scalp will ensure that it has what it needs to produce hair in the follicle.
When dealing with hair growth, there are three types of vitamins you should really focus on:
- Hair, Skin, and Nails Vitamins
- Prenatal Vitamins
- Vitamins Formulated for Hair Growth
So let’s talk about those for a few…
Hair, skin, and Nails
Hair, Skin, and Nails vitamins are formulated specially to provide your body with the vitamins and minerals it needs to grow hair and nails while giving you healthier skin.
They’re usually composed of antioxidants like Vitamin A, C and E, and CoQ10, along with biotin and B-complex. They may also contain fish oil, flaxseed oil, selenium, and manganese.
If you’re deficient in any of these vitamins, your body may be producing less hair than it would in optimal form. Although major deficiencies are uncommon, I would give these vitamins a shot to see if it helps.
This may or may not be an urban legend, but many women believe that prenatal vitamins make your hair grow faster. It’s also a controversial topic.
Prenatal vitamins are similar to a multivitamin, but the doses are adjusted to suit a pregnant woman’s needs. Some doctors believe that taking too much folic acid and iron (when not pregnant) may lead to long-term health effects. Others state that the added folic acid and iron are still within a healthy range.
Many celebrities and women across the world swear that prenatal vitamins make their hair grow faster. However, the misconception could be because of what happens to your hair when you’re pregnant.
As I mentioned earlier, only 90% of your hair is growing at any given time. This means that the rest of your hair is in a resting or shedding phase. When you’re pregnant, your hair doesn’t shed; it just keeps growing.
This leads to longer, thicker hair by the end of a pregnancy. However, after the hormones balance out post-partum, all that extra hair will eventually shed.
I want to remind you that I’m not a doctor and that you should consult your doctor before taking prenatal vitamins. However, my personal opinion is that while you could probably take prenatals to grow your hair, it’s far better to stick with vitamins designed for hair growth.
Which brings me to the next point…
Vitamins Made for Hair Growth
Similar to vitamins for hair, skin, and nails, some vitamins focus solely on providing your body with the nutrients needed for hair growth.
These vitamins typically contain Vitamins A-D, biotin, iron, zinc, and folic acid. If you’re thinking about going this route, I’d look into a high-quality vitamin for the best results.
SugarBearHair gummies are one of the most well-known and popular hair-growth supplements on the market. They have a high success rate, and their customers swear by using them.
They’re formulated with high-quality, vegetarian, gluten-free, gelatin-free ingredients and come in tasty gummy bear form. The only main complaint I see is that some people break out when taking them.
- We designed our vitamins for those who were looking for easy to eat vitamins without the...
- Improve the look and overall health of hair.* 97% of Sugarbear users started to see...
- Scientifically-formulated blend of Vitamin A, 6,000 mcg Biotin, Vitamin C, Vitamin D,...
So now that we’ve covered the bases of internal hair health, let’s talk about some at-home hair hacks you can do to stimulate hair growth…
Related: Learn how to make hair grow faster and longer at home with these homemade hair growth masks from MetDaan.com!
2. Rosemary Oil
Are you looking for a bomb hair growth treatment at home? Rosemary oil is quite impressive when it comes to promoting hair growth and stimulating blood flow in the scalp.
It’s easily one of the best home remedies for hair growth and thickness.
In fact, a study done by MEDLINE in 2015 even concluded that rosemary oil was as effective as minoxidil (the main ingredient of Rogaine) in increasing the hair count after six months of use. Read more about it at PubMed.
It works by stimulating cell division and dilating blood vessels, which stimulates hair follicles to produce new hair. There are countless other health benefits of rosemary oil, such as lower stress levels and improved memory function.
Additionally, it has been proven to kill fungus and fight off free-radicals in the scalp.
Please remember that rosemary oil must be placed in a carrier oil to prevent skin irritation. I’d recommend adding 10-12 drops to every ounce of your shampoo and massaging it into your scalp regularly.
I’d also recommend doing a hot oil treatment once a week:
- Add 3-4 drops of rosemary oil to 1 tablespoon of warm coconut oil.
- Apply to dry hair and massage into the scalp.
- Place a processing cap on your head to hold in heat.
- Let it sit on your scalp for 30 minutes.
- Rinse, shampoo, and style like normal.
Keep in mind that not all essential oils are created equally; you should look for something that is 100% pure rosemary oil for best results.
- 100% Pure & Natural Rosemary Essential Oil - What sets Artizen Essential Oils apart are...
- Don't Fall Victim To Cheap Diluted Rosemary Oil - Most of the competition dilute their oil...
- Most 4 Ounce Rosemary Oils Contain Less Than 1/3 Of Natural Oil - Unfortunately, there's a...
3. Onion Juice
I’m not gonna lie… I have a deep hatred of onions. I hate how they smell, and you’d have to pay me a lot of money to eat one. Sometimes I even tell restaurants that I am allergic to ensure that no rogue onions make it in my food.
the juice of an onion is actually super beneficial for a few different reasons:
- Onions contain dietary sulfur, which is found in keratin, the protein hair is made of. This also helps with breakage.
- They provide the hair follicles with ample nourishment to grow more hair.
- They contain an enzyme called “catalase,” which reduces hydrogen peroxide and optimizes the hair growth cycle.
- Onions are full of flavonoids, which fight free-radicals, slowing down the aging process and preventing hair follicle damage.
- They have anti-microbial properties that combat scalp infections that lead to hair loss.
How to treat your hair with onion juice:
- Peel and chop four onions into small pieces.
- Use a juicer or blender to reduce them to juice. If using a blender, use a muslin cloth to filter out the larger chunks.
- Add some essential oil like rosemary or peppermint to tame down the smell.
- Using a cotton pad, apply the juice directly to your scalp and massage for 5 minutes.
- Let the juice sit on your scalp for 30 minutes.
- Rinse, shampoo, and style as you usually would.
- Repeat these steps once a week.
4. Add Healthy Fats to Your Diet
Similar to taking the correct vitamins, you should clean up your diet a bit.
Everything you put in your body will come out through your hair. A healthy diet is the best way to make sure you get the correct nutrients for optimal hair growth.
That being said, foods rich in healthy fats are super beneficial for growing hair faster.
Healthy fats balance hormones, reduce inflammation, increase circulation, and condition the scalp and hair. This leads to improved hair growth and healthier hair.
The human body does not make essential fats, like Omega-3, Omega-6, and Omega-9. Therefore, it’s crucial to add it to our diet through foods and supplements.
Some of the best healthy fats for hair growth are:
- Chia Seed
To read more about healthy foods that you should add to your diet, check out 19 Super Foods That Make Your Hair Grow Faster.
5. Scalp Stimulation
When I was in beauty school, we used to practice scientific brushing, a method of stimulating your scalp and spreading natural oils through the hair. To do it, you just need to gently brush your scalp in a rolling motion with a bristle brush.
Stimulating your scalp increases blood circulation, oxygen, and nutrients to the hair follicles and optimizes scalp conditions for hair growth. In fact, studies show that 4 minutes of daily scalp massage can significantly increase the hair growth cycle after several weeks.
The easiest way to stimulate your scalp is with a deep scalp massage while shampooing your hair. Just relax and let the warm water soothe you while massaging your scalp for 4 minutes. I promise you can’t go wrong.
You can even bring in some tools to get the job done. I love this little scalp massage-y guy from Amazon, which was specially designed to stimulate your hair while shampooing.
- ✔Shampoo brush with perfect grip handle to fit your hand comfortably (Manual with no...
- ✔Scalp massager with soft thick silicone bristles stimulate blood flow to the scalp and...
- ✔Relax the scalp muscles and reduce stress (Wonderful Feeling)
Likewise, if you’re willing to dish out the big bucks, the iRestore Laser Hair Growth System has been proven to promote hair regrowth in men and women by 43% by stimulating hair follicles. iRestore offers a 6-month money-back guarantee and has been cleared by the FDA.
- iRestore Laser Hair Growth System is a FDA-cleared hair loss treatment and laser hair...
- 6-Month Money Back Guarantee – Users can expect to see visible hair improvement in as...
- iRestore has been clinically studied by doctors and has been proven to promote hair growth...
6. Olaplex No. 3
I’m a huge fan of Olaplex because it’s the best home remedy for fried hair… in fact, it’s one of the only products on the market that can actually rebuild broken hair proteins.
In fact, I wrote a whole post about how much I love Olaplex last year.
While there are different steps to the full Olaplex experience, I just want to bring the Olaplex No. 3 treatment to your attention.
This salon-quality deep treatment is unlike anything else, and you really should use it once a week to strengthen your hair.
While it does not actually make your hair grow faster or thicker, it will drastically reduce the amount of breakage you have. This will make your hair appear thicker and fuller in the long-run.
I highly recommend it.
- Repairs damaged and compromised hair, strengthens and protects hair structure, restores...
- Apply a generous amount from roots to ends on unwashed towel-dried hair.
- Comb through once and leave on for a minimum of 10 minutes or more. Rinse from hair,...
7. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has grown significantly in the past few years, once everyone realized how versatile and amazing it is.
Not only can it lower cholesterol, help you lose weight, and brighten up your skin, but surprise: it’s said to grow hair faster as well.
In fact, your hair will LOVE coconut oil. It can also be used as a detangler or to defeat dandruff.
Furthermore, it can be used as a deep conditioner to make your hair super healthy. Its low molecular weight makes it able to easily penetrate into the hair shaft to condition hair from the inside out.
It’s controversial if coconut oil actually works to grow your hair faster. Some people swear it works while others say it won’t do much.
It will definitely provide your scalp with a healthy environment for growing hair, while drastically reducing breakage. I would say your best bet is to use it as a carrier oil with rosemary oil and massage it into your scalp once a week.
Make sure to use organic extra-virgin unrefined coconut oil for the best results.
- ✔️ Naturally Nourishing Coconut Oil for Hair - With its unique combination of natural...
- ✔️ Hydrate Naturally With Coconut Oil for Skin - Coconut oil organic is a naturally...
- ✔️ Perfect Coconut Oil for Cooking and Baking - An unrefined coconut oil with a...
8. Olive Oil / Egg Mask
Back in the earliest days of this blog, I wrote a post about a DIY olive oil hair treatment you can easily do at home… and to this day, it’s one of my most popular pins on Pinterest.
Olive oil moisturizes and nourishes the scalp to prevent dandruff while increasing blood flow. It also prevents the hair follicle from narrowing, which is often a cause of hair loss.
To use Olive Oil as a hair mask:
- Mix 1/2 cup of extra-virgin olive oil with 1/4 cup of honey (a humectant, which attracts and holds moisture).
- Microwave for 15 seconds. Test on your fingers before applying to the scalp.
- Add an egg for some extra vitamins and essential fatty acids.
- Mix ingredients together and whisk.
- Apply to scalp and massage. Work through to the ends.
- Cover with cling wrap or a processing cap and let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Rinse good and shampoo (possibly with a clarifying shampoo). Style as desired.
9. Castor Oil Treatments
Like the other types of oils on this list, castor oil is super good for your hair. A million years ago, I remember reading that you should apply castor oil to your eyebrows to make them grow in thicker. It works the same with hair on your head.
While many doctors disagree that castor oil will actually make your hair grow, they do all admit that it has anti-microbial properties that cleanse the scalp and strengthen the hair. This has also become a popular ingredient in hair products.
Other doctors, however, do believe that it can help stimulate hair growth. Rachel Nazarian, MD of Schweiger Dermatology Group in NYC, states that “unlike most other oils, which can veer mostly fatty, castor oil has a unique nutritional makeup composed of a powerful mix of proteins, vitamins, fatty acids, and antioxidants.”
In other words, it can encourage faster hair growth.
She also states that “castor oil is thought to enhance and increase the absorption and effectiveness of other products. In other words, if incorporated into your normal hair ritual, your other products might actually penetrate more effectively, which will only do your hair’s health and growth ambition a favor in the long run.”
Last, but not least, she warns that you should only use a little bit at a time, as oil goes a long way and too much can irritate the skin. Read more about Dr. Nazarian’s views on castor oil from Byrdie.com
Since castor oil is so heavy and can be irritating, the best thing to do is rub a few drops onto your scalp and massage it in. You could also mix it with a carrier oil and apply it to the whole head for extra conditioning benefits.
Repeat this process once per week.
Oh… and look for organic cold-pressed castor oil for the best results.
- WHY WE LOVE IT: Sky Organics Organic Castor Oil is a natural source of fatty acids that...
- FOR FULLER LOOKING HAIR: Sky Organics Organic Castor Oil helps condition roots and nourish...
- COLD-PRESSED: Sky Organics 100% pure Organic Castor Oil is retrieved through a process of...
10. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is another way to stimulate hair growth, and it’s completely different than the oil-based home remedies we’ve talked about so far. In fact, it’s one of the best natural remedies around.
Lemons are jam-packed with vitamin C, which boosts collagen production. Collagen plays a big part in cell renewal and fights the production of free radicals (which damage hair follicles).
Furthermore, having sufficient collagen strengthens and protects hair follicles and improves hair growth. They also clean the hair follicles and scalp and help control oil production.
Furthermore, since lemons are acidic, they close down the hair cuticle, which protects the hair and makes it shinier.
To do a lemon juice treatment:
- Squeeze the juice of a freshly cut lemon.
- Apply the juice to the scalp with a cotton ball and massage into the scalp. Let it sit for 15 minutes total.
- Wash your hair and style as desired.
- Repeat once per week for the best results.
11. Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse
The first time I tried this, I was pleasantly surprised. I imagined that putting vinegar in your hair would dry it out. Wrong.
My hair was so soft and manageable after using an apple cider vinegar rinse. Furthermore, the smell went away when my hair dried.
The pH levels of ACV are close to that of human hair, which can balance the pH of your hair when used often. Certain hair products and hair color/bleach make the hair more alkaline, and the acidity of ACV balances it out.
Like most other things on this list, it cleans the scalp and kills fungal and bacterial growth that can lead to hair loss. It also works wonders with dandruff.
ACV adds shine, reduces porosity, detangles, and kills frizz. It also stimulates blood flow to the hair follicles, which provides the hair with nutrients it needs to grow.
TIP: As you can imagine apple cider vinegar doesn’t feel good when it gets in your eyes, so take care when applying it to your hair.
To do an apple cider vinegar rinse:
- Mix one cup of water with two tablespoons of ACV. Bring this mix in the shower with you.
- Shampoo your hair.
- Wring out the excess water and apply the apple cider vinegar to damp hair.
- Massage into your scalp for two minutes.
- Finally, rinse and style as you normally would.
- Repeat once per week.
Like everything else, you’ll want to use high-quality apple cider vinegar for the best results. For that reason, I’m a big fan of the Bragg Organic Raw ACV with the mother.
- Certified Organic Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider vinegar is unfiltered, unheated,...
- Bragg Apple Cider vinegar is organically grown, processed and bottled in accordance with...
- It's a wholesome way to add delicious, light flavor to most foods. Gluten Free. Non-gmo...
1. Take Hair Vitamins
2. Massage Scalp With Rosemary Oil
3. Onion Juice
4. Eating Healthy Fats
5. Scalp Stimulation
6. Olaplex No. 3 At-Home Treatment
7. Coconut Oil Hair Mask
8. Olive Oil/Egg Mask
9. Castor Oil Treatments
10. Lemon Juice Rinse
11. Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse
Studies have shown that both scalp stimulation and rosemary oil can both increase the rate of hair growth. Add a few drops of pure rosemary oil to a cup of organic coconut oil and massage into your scalp for 5 minutes at a time.
Five minutes of daily scalp massage has been proven to increase blood flow to the scalp and increase the rate of hair growth.
Even though I can’t promise to make your hair grow an inch overnight, I can provide you with some scientifically-proven home remedies to encourage hair growth and thickness.
Mix some of these super easy home remedies for hair growth and thickness into your routine, and I promise your hair will thank you.
Until next time,
YOUR TURN: Have you tried any of these home remedies for hair growth and thickness? Do you have any other at-home hair care tips to add to this list? Drop your thoughts in the comments section below! 👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼
- 7 Ways You’re Unintentionally Trashing Your Hair
- 19 Super Foods For Hair Growth And Thickness
- 8 Ways To Grow Your Hair Faster
- 21 Bizarre Hair Tools (That Are Borderline Genius)
💡TIP: Don’t forget to save this to your Hair board on Pinterest so you can always come back to it when you need to! 👇🏼👇🏼👇🏼
Last update on 2023-12-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API