So, I don’t know about you but I am really into the Christmas spirit this year. Every night, I’ve been watching a different Christmas movie, including the 2000 rendition of How The Grinch Stole Christmas.
I thought about how fun it would be to do your hair or makeup like Cindy Lou Who for a Christmas party. She is such an iconic Christmas character and represents all things good.
Without further ado, here are some sweet tips on how to do Cindy Lou Who hair and makeup for your enjoyment…
*This post contains affiliate links meaning that if you make a purchase through the link, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. This helps me provide the best possible content for free. Keep in mind that I only link to quality products that I use myself and feel would be beneficial for my readers. Please read my full affiliate disclosure for more information.
How The Grinch Stole Christmas
The Grinch was originally brought to life by Dr. Suess for the short poem, The Hoobub and the Grinch, in 1955. A couple years later, he made his storybook debut with How The Grinch Stole Christmas.
In 1966, this story was turned into an animated film, where it gained a huge fan following. In the year 2000, a live-action adaptation of the film, starring Jim Carrey, hit theaters. It was a financial success.
These days, the Grinch is an iconic Christmas character and both versions of the movie are commonly watched as part of a Christmas tradition for many families. In 2018, a third CGI adaptation of the film was released.
I assume you know the story behind the Grinch since you are reading this post… but for all intents and purposes, let me give you a quick rundown.
The Grinch is a grumpy, green, hairy character that lives on a snowy mountain that overlooks Whoville. The Whos are chock-full of Christmas spirit and celebrate the holiday to the extreme every year. This angers the Grinch.
One year, he decides to dress up as Santa Clause and steal everything that has to do with Christmas, in hopes that he wouldn’t have to hear the Whos sing their Christmas tunes. During his outing, he encounters Cindy Lou Who, a miniature Who that touches the Grinch’s heart and eventually changes his mind about the holiday.
In the end, he realizes that he made a mistake, that Christmas spirit exists without presents and decorations, and he decides to partake in the Christmas festivities alongside the Whos. His heart grows larger and the Whos invite him to carve the roast beast.
Cindy Lou Who’s Iconic Hairstyle:
In the live-action version of the film, Cindy feels sorry for the Grinch, while everyone else strongly dislikes him. She nominates him as the “Holiday Cheermeister” at the Whobilation ceremony and visits him at his home.
Despite his bad attitude, Cindy Lou Who always believes in the Grinch. The happy ending is entirely because of her good faith and kind deeds.
Cindy Lou Who Hair and Makeup Tutorial:
There are countless Cindy Lou Who hair and makeup tutorials on the web, but this one by Denean Dale is my favorite. This look is actually pretty easy to do at home.
For The Hair:
- Section the hair into three parts. One large area on top, and braided pigtails on both sides of the bottom.
- To get the top section to stand up, put in a lot of backcombing (a backcomb brush is a good tool to use). She also uses a sock bun and soda can go get extra lift.
- Curl the ends of the ponytail and braids.
- Using a hair tie, lift up and secure the bottom of the braids at the base of the middle section. Use a loose hair strand to cover the hair tie and add a bow at the top of the middle section.
For The Makeup:
- Since Cindy Lou Who is young, it’s important for your skin to be flawless. Use a sheer foundation to hide all imperfections, without making the makeup too cakey.
- Add bright pink blush on the cheeks and nose and blend well. This makes it look like you have been out in the cold.
- Fill in the eyebrows, but make sure they are still natural and subtle.
- Add very subtle shimmery eyeshadow and blend it well. Use mascara to coat the eyelashes and make them a bit clumpier than normal. Finish the eyes off with fake lashes.
- Finish off with some subtle pink/red lipstick.
TIP: Learn how to get free makeup from Sephora by using this one trick!
Your Turn: What do you think of this super cute Cindy Lou Who hair and makeup tutorial? Are you willing to give it a shot this year? I’d love to hear what you think in the comments section below…
Did you enjoy this post? I’ll love you forever if you share it with your friends on your favorite social media website…
You’ll probably also be interested to read 5 Flawless Christmas Hair Ideas and Makeup Tips!