As a professional cosmetologist, I hear people make up their own lingo all the time.  Most people don’t quite know all of the correct terminology that hair stylists use, but they try to express what they mean anyways.  Then, us hairstylists tend to interpret the actual meaning, not what they really wanted.  A common miscommunication issue is with all of the different shades of red hair color.  Since it is fall, a lot of people are coloring their hair with darker tones and red colors.  Therefore, I want to share with you what the actual terminology for the different shades of red color.

What is the difference between mahogany and auburn hair color? Read about the different shades of red hair color here.

1 23 ... 11Next »

8 Comments on 10 Different Shades of Red Heads

1. Katy
    July 2, 2016 at 5:44 PM (9 months ago)

What would you say Crimson is? I use Splat Crimson Obsession and nearly everybody who sees me stops me to compliment the color. I’m looking for something more permanent but similar in color. I was leaning towards burgundy but now I’m unsure. This color fades to a pink not an orange like most red hair dyes. Would you have any suggestions on shades that would be close in color?

2. Anonymous
    June 26, 2016 at 2:32 PM (9 months ago)

What about titian?

3. suzanne Ensch
    January 15, 2016 at 9:54 AM (1 year ago)

There are basically two different reds, cool which has blue tones or warm which has copper/orange tones. From there you can have various shades with tonal and depth of color.

Great article Hollee…

• Hollee Wood
      January 15, 2016 at 9:56 AM (1 year ago)

Thanks! That’s an awesome point 🙂

4. Candy
    January 14, 2013 at 8:22 AM (4 years ago)

Red is like blue, or green, there are so many different shades. I’m a natural red-head and I love the way you have broken down the shades! You are right, even natural shades will be completely different.

5. myoneandlonely
    November 8, 2012 at 9:23 AM (4 years ago)

what about ginger? is it actually the same with copper?

6. Jen Ritter
    October 23, 2012 at 8:06 PM (4 years ago)

Believe it or not,us “non professionals”do know the correct lingo.

• Hollee Wood
      October 24, 2012 at 10:01 PM (4 years ago)

That’s wonderful. This article is to help the people that don’t, because I see people make up their own terminology all the time. Thanks for the comment 🙂