Have you ever wondered what the difference between an A-Line, graduated bob, inverted bob and all the other types of bobs were?  Have no fear!  In this article, I am going to teach you all about it.

Bob haircuts are ultra-trendy and flatter almost anyone, but did you ever wonder what the difference between all the types of bobs are?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

33 Comments on The Difference Between an A-Line, Graduated Bob, Inverted Bob, and Asymmetrical Bob

1. Salsa
    September 30, 2017 at 3:51 PM (3 weeks ago)

Still not good with knowing what the inverted bob is🤓

2. Rickie Broadfoot
    April 19, 2017 at 12:55 PM (6 months ago)

Your explanation is wonderful. When I talk to my stylist I know exactly what I want but didn’t know if it was stacked or beveled. The above style is exactly what I’ve been asking for. I’m sure my hair is not the same texture and won’t look exactly like this one but after I get it cut with this example at least I will know if it’s right for me or not. Hair grows back!

3. Erin
    April 1, 2017 at 9:03 PM (7 months ago)

How crazy the first picture is from Rivendell Hair in Arington Washington (no longer open) and the hair cut was done by me!

• Hollee Wood
      April 2, 2017 at 1:33 PM (7 months ago)

Which one is it? The main picture? I can either remove it or credit you with it. If you want to email me at [email protected], I’ll work it out for you!

• Michelle
      July 2, 2017 at 5:02 PM (4 months ago)

I’m from the Arlington /Darrington area 🙂

4. Sonia
    November 8, 2016 at 6:30 PM (12 months ago)

Bobs are hard to maintain I’d go with a straight across bob on the longer side grazing your shoulders . keep the layers long if any. Mine keeps growing out and i have to get shape ups often im tryin to grow out the layers now and went for a trim and they layered it all up again. I am mad.

5. Jay
    November 6, 2016 at 6:21 AM (12 months ago)

I m a guy who loves fem haircuts. Looking for a fem stacked graduated bob. The more fem the better.

6. Savygal
    August 16, 2016 at 9:41 PM (1 year ago)

Yes, I believe they are the same. I luv the undercut bob. Every time I go to the stylist, she wants to give me a “stack” because “it is more modern”. I think the truth of the matter is an undercut bob requires skilled precision, which not all stylists have.

7. Jayla
    May 6, 2016 at 11:47 PM (1 year ago)

Aren’t asymmetrical and inverted bob haircuts similar?

8. Meag
    February 25, 2016 at 2:12 PM (2 years ago)

Thank you so much, I love this hair style. I’m thinking about trying hair style asymmetrical bob. Now I am thinking stay with my natural color or try something new. I was inspired with some good photos. I’m planning to choose red color for my heir… or not)))

9. Damion
    September 19, 2015 at 10:10 AM (2 years ago)

However, for those that can, short hair is stunning.
    A large decorative clip, a flower, or other hair accessory can then be
    added. Its all natural, we ccan use makeup like eyeliner and mascara only tto enhance our
    natural beauty but for the most part nafural beautty
    is all about using what God gave us.

10. Barbarina
    August 20, 2015 at 7:49 PM (2 years ago)

Would a layered Bob look right on someone with slightly curly/wavy hair? My hair is dry and so I put oil in it to help with the frizz. But soon I’ll be having surgery and will be layed up for two months and would like something that won’t be too difficult to handle.

• Hollee Wood
      August 20, 2015 at 8:40 PM (2 years ago)

I think that would looks really cute! It depends on what kind of look you are going for but I would recommend keeping the layers on the longer side. Hope it helps

11. janis
    August 14, 2015 at 11:29 AM (2 years ago)

Nobody knows what i mean either! They all waot to cut it too short on top and bangs too short, and endr up like an old women’s cut.

• Vic
      September 16, 2015 at 11:16 AM (2 years ago)

I have the same problem! I recently moved and have had three awful hair cuts in a row. None of them know how to do any type of bob cut, apparently. But they SAY they do. Don’t they teach that in beauty school???

12. Charly
    July 28, 2015 at 12:33 PM (2 years ago)

Thank you for explaining this so well. I have always known what I wanted and have tried to explain it to the gal who cuts my hair and it comes out wrong. So now I am trying to grow my hair out again and know exactly what to ask for next time!

13. piyu28
    July 26, 2015 at 11:14 AM (2 years ago)

Thankyou so much for the information. Last time I told my hairdresser for A-bob(angled bob) .he just messed up and ended up giving me assymetrical one.you are right, it does looks ugly.this time I am going to make him read this article ?

14. Ruth gibson
    July 1, 2015 at 4:02 PM (2 years ago)

Why is the inverted bob referred to as inverted? It doesn’t all go forward, so why called Inverted?

15. Marilyn
    April 30, 2015 at 5:57 AM (2 years ago)

Sorry to say there are hairdressers out there that do not know the difference between a stack, graduation and the original A line. You did a great job of describing the difference.

• Roxanne
      February 11, 2016 at 5:33 PM (2 years ago)

I SO AGREE! I want to get my hair cut like Miss Fisher in Miss Fisher Mysteries, and I don’t know how to describe it. I’m searching for photos on the web so I can tell them what I want. I have long hair and want to get it right the first time – PLUS I have curly hair (easily straightens though). So this article was very timely!

16. aparna
    March 13, 2015 at 6:42 AM (3 years ago)

what is the name of the haircut with with short hair on one side and long hair on the other side?

• Hollee Wood
      February 18, 2015 at 11:37 AM (3 years ago)

I have never heard that term! I would imagine “filled” means the same thing as stacked… Maybe?

• Marilyn
        April 30, 2015 at 6:01 AM (2 years ago)

Filled would mean a bob that is non-layered or solid.

17. Tabatha
    January 30, 2015 at 8:11 PM (3 years ago)

Thank you so much, i love this hair style and I’ve had it before but last time this chick had no idea what i wanted. I explained long in front, stacked in the back. I ended up with the stack in the back and butched in the front, shorter than chin length, so i have not had my hair cut since but now that I have this info I am going for it again! Thanks again.

18. Angie Wallace
    November 21, 2014 at 7:59 AM (3 years ago)

what is the name of the shorter haircut where it is shaped into a “V” at back and goes into a point at sides?

19. Vicki
    August 15, 2014 at 10:32 AM (3 years ago)

What’s difference between layered and stacked?

• Hollee Wood
      August 15, 2014 at 11:33 AM (3 years ago)

That is a really good question! Stacked basically means layered but they are really short layers that are shaped with the haircut so they “stack up” higher. The more stacked the layers are, the higher up they will go.

20. Lin
    June 6, 2014 at 7:28 AM (3 years ago)

Thank you SO Much!!! for explaining this so clearly … my hair stylists were running circles around me and now (with your clear explanation), I know what to tell them to do/and what not to do! Thank you!!!

21. Anonymous
    May 3, 2014 at 1:18 AM (3 years ago)

Thank you! On my way to the salon. It helps to know the exact names of the style you want. Thanks again 🙂