Who doesn’t love fun random facts? They are a great way to expand your mind, while killing time. Personally, I love fun facts (especially about fun facts about hair). Without further ado, I present to you: 100 Random Facts About Hair!
Random Facts About Hair 1-15:
1. The average person has roughly between 100,000 and 150,000 strands of hair on their head.
2. A natural blonde usually has more hair strands on their head then dark or red-haired people. Towheads generally have 120,000 strands; brown/black-haired people have 100,000 strands, and redheads average about 80,000 strands.
3. Hair is the fastest growing tissue in the body. The only thing that grows faster is bone marrow.
4. A single hair strand has a thickness of .02 – .04 mm.
5. Everybody sheds between 40-150 strands of hair per day
6. Crash dieting can cause temporary hair loss.
7. Hair is mostly made of keratin, which our outer layer of skin and fingernails are also made of.
8. In animals, horns, hooves, claws, feathers, beaks, quills (porcupines), and baleen (whales) are all also made of keratin.
9. On an average adult scalp, 25 meters of hair fiber is produced every day.
10. At any random time, 90% of the hair on a head is in a growing phase, while the other 10% is in a resting phase.
11. 40% of women have female pattern hair loss by the time they go through menopause.
12. 50% of men have male pattern hair loss by the age of 50.
13. For it to be apparent that you are balding, you would have to lose 50% of your hair.
14. Most drugs cause hair loss.
15. Thyroid imbalance causes hair loss.
Random Facts About Hair 16-30:
16. Iron deficiency causes hair loss.
17. Humans are born with all of their hair follicles and there is no possible way to increase the amount of hair follicles you have.
18. Hair turns grey as a result of the pigment cells in the hair follicle not working properly. The hair bulb slows melanin production as a result of age or stress.
19. Hair is produced in the hair shaft beneath the skin; therefore it takes 13 days to see grey/white hair after it is produced.
20. A single strand of hair can support up to 6.5 pounds of weight.
21. A whole head of hair could support up to 2 tons.
22. On average, hair grows .3 – .5 mm per day.
23. The length of the growing phase of hair shortens as you age.
24. When you are born, you have about 1000 hair follicles per square centimeter. This number drops as you age.
25. Each hair follicle grows a completely new hair about 20 times in a lifetime.
26. Hair structure is the same, no matter whose head it is on.
27. The outer layer of hair is called the cuticle, and its purpose is to protect the inside layers. In healthy hair, the cuticle lays flat. In damaged hair, they are more open.
28. The middle layer of hair is called the cortex, which is made of long proteins twisted together.
29. The innermost layer of hair is called the medulla. Fine hair usually does not have a medulla. The purpose of the medulla has not yet been determined.
30. Keratin is composed mostly of an amino acid called cysteine, which is what gives the hair its shape.